A common space for harmonic peacemakers

Chapter 4, Verse 3

"Today I reveal to you

This Eternal Yoga,

Secret Supreme,

Because of your love for me,

And because I am your friend."

Father Bede Griffiths:

"It is said of all ancient teachings that they come down from the beginning of time. Yoga is said to be primeval in the sense that it has been passed down from the beginning. There is great truth in the notion that none of these things are invented by humanity and that they originally come from the source.

As James says in the New Testament: 'Every good gift comes from above, from the father of light.' (James 1:17)

The modern world view is underscored by the opposite idea. In this way of seeing, everything has been progressing from very immature beginnings to a more and more perfect state, so that the twenty-first century marks the crown of history and of all creation. On the other hand, the ancient traditions hold that there is a transcendent wisdom which is eternal and has been with us since the beginning. We may progress in material knowledge, but not in the essential wisdom.

This is a wisdom which Krishna is in the process of revealing to Arjuna. He reveals it to him, 'because of your love for me and because I am your friend.' Bhakti is introduced here for the first time. The root of Bhakti is Bhaj, which originally meant 'to share in, to participate in,' and later, 'to participate through affection.' It had various meanings, but by the time the Gita was written, it had come to mean 'love and loyalty.' It is a devotional love which is constant and firm."

Sri Eknath Easwaran:

"In this verse, Krishna reassures Arjuna of his love. He is saying in so many words, 'It is true that the spiritual tradition appears to hit a wall now and then, but I am going to whisper in your ear and give you personal instruction so that you may discover me in your consciousness. I am doing this for you because you love me so much.' This is the same emphasis on love that we find in the words of Jesus: 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.' (Matthew 22: 37, 38)

There is a story in which Arjuna is tested by Lord Shiva, who is disguised as a rough forester. Shiva taunts him by asking the Indian equivalent of 'Who do you think you are?' Arjuna answers patiently, 'I come from a very ancient family, the Pandavas.' Shiva says, 'Never heard of them.' This doesn't upset Arjuna at all; he goes on talking about his family and his kingdom. To everything Shiva says, 'Never heard of it.' Arjuna remains calm. Finally, Shiva says, 'Can't you even tell me one little thing about yourself that might impress me?' Arjuna, drawing himself up to his full stature, says, 'I have a friend. I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count!' 'You tell ME,' sneers Shiva. 'Krishna,' Arjuna testifies proudly. Shiva just laughs and says, 'That butter-stealing, flute-playing cowherd who calls himself a divine incarnation?' Then, all of his love for Krishna aroused, Arjuna pounces on Shiva, who is delighted with Arjuna's devotion."

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

God Talks With Arjuna - The Bhagavad Gita

It is not the intellectual "walking scriptural dictionary" who knows the wisdom of the prophets; it is rather the man of meditation and application whose scriptural knowledge shines forth every day in his face and his actions.

-  from Yoganandaji's comment to IV:28

yes, that's the paradox isn't it...

those of us who are inclined study teachings of the wise all the while remembering that it's not about the words.

lao tse says on page one of the tao te ching that the tao that can be named is not the eternal tao and then goes on to write eighty pages more about the tao

RSS

Quote of the moment:

"PEACE
NOT WAR
GENEROSITY
NOT GREED
EMPATHY
NOT HATE
CREATIVITY
NOT DESTRUCTION
EVERYBODY
NOT JUST US"

Connect With Us!

We light a candle for all our friends and members that have passed to the other side.

Gone from our life and forever moved into our heart. ~ ❤️ ~

Grant us peace
#Ukraine

Two beautiful graphics for anyone to use, donated and created by Shannon Wamsely

Shannon Wamsley

Designed by Michelle Yd Frost

Windy Willow (Salix Tree)
Artist Silvia Hoefnagels
Ireland NOV 2020
(image copyright Silvia Hoefnagels)

She writes,
"Love, acceptance and inclusion. Grant us peace."

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Eva Libre.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service