Lord Hanuman was born on the chaitra Shukla Purnima(Full moon day on the Hindu Calendar Month of Chaitra). Also called by the names, Maruti, Pavanputra, Bajrangbali and Mahavira.
Lord Hanuman is one of the most revered god of India. He is believed to be an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Lord Hanuman is venerated as the greatest disciple of Lord Sri Ram. He is seen as the embodiment of devotion and loyalty and is one of the rare Hindu god who has taken a vow of celibacy. He was born to (Wind-God) Kesari and Anjani. Hanuman became a legend mainly for his unflinching devotion and loyalty for Paramatma Lord Ram. He was an ideal karma yogi for his fearless, selfless service, humility and devotion for Lord Ram. Lord Hanuman is the only deity that cannot be troubled by negative energies. Hanuman Jayanti is an important festival of Hindus. Hanuman is the symbol of strength and energy. Hanuman is said to be able to assume any form at will, wield rocks, move mountains, dart through the air, seize the clouds and rival Garuda in swiftness of flight. He is worshipped in folk tradition as a deity with magical powers and the ability to conquer evil spirits. Also known as an avatara of Lord Rama, he is considered the God of power (Maruti).
On Hanuman Jayanti people observe fast, meditate on him and his Lord Rama, practice charity, read the Hanuman Chalisa and spend the day in repeating his glories and adventures and be blessed
Why We Celebrate Hanuman Jayanti
According to legends he was born as a monkey god to serve Lord Ram.He is true Karma who worked dynamically. He did what others could not do while serving Rama. He plunge with daring acts like crossing the ocean simply by uttering Ram-Nam, burning the city of Lanka, and bringing the sanjeevini herb and restoring Lakshmana to life again.
According to the legend,once Lord Hanuman saw Goddess Sita applying sindoor on her forehead. On seeing this, Lord Hanuman enquired from her the reason for applying Sindoor.Goddess Sita replied that this would ensure a long life for her husband. Hanuman then smeared his entire body with sindoor, in an effort to ensure Rama's immortality. So on this day, devotees visit temples and apply tilak of sindoor to their foreheads from the Hanumans body as this is considered to be good luck.
|| Om Hm Hanumate Rudratmakaay Hum Phut ||
Shri Guru Charan Saroj Raj After cleansing the mirror of my mind with the pollen
Nij mane mukure sudhar dust of holy Guru's Lotus feet. I Profess the pure,
Varnao Raghuvar Vimal Jasu untainted glory of Shri Raghuvar which bestows the four-
Jo dayaku phal char Fold fruits of life.(Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha).
Budhi Hin Tanu Janike Fully aware of the deficiency of my intelligence, I
Sumirau Pavan Kumar concentrate my attention on Pavan Kumar and humbly
Bal budhi Vidya dehu mohe ask for strength, intelligence and true knowledge to
Harahu Kalesa Vikar relieve me of all blemishes, causing pain.
Jai Hanuman gyan gun sagar Victory to thee, O'Hanuman! Ocean of Wisdom-All
Jai Kapis tihun lok ujagar hail to you O'Kapisa! (fountain-head of power,wisdomand Shiva-Shakti) You illuminate all the three worlds(Entire cosmos) with your glory.
Ram doot atulit bal dhama You are the divine messenger of Shri Ram. The
Anjani-putra Pavan sut nama repository of immeasurable strength, though known only as Son of Pavan (Wind), born of Anjani.
Mahavir Vikram Bajrangi With Limbs as sturdy as Vajra (The mace of God Indra)
Kumati nivar sumati Ke sangi you are valiant and brave. On you attends good Sense and Wisdom. You dispel the darkness of evil thoughts.
Kanchan varan viraj subesa Your physique is beautiful golden coloured and your dress
Kanan Kundal Kunchit Kesa is pretty. You wear ear rings and have long curly hair.
Hath Vajra Aur Dhuvaje Viraje You carry in your hand a lightening bolt along with a victory
Kandhe moonj janehu sajai (kesari) flag and wear the sacred thread on your shoulder.
Sankar suvan kesri Nandan As a descendant of Lord Sankar, you are a comfort and pride
Tej pratap maha jag vandan of Shri Kesari. With the lustre of your Vast Sway, you are propitiated all over the universe.
Vidyavan guni ati chatur You are the repository of learning, virtuous and fully accomplished,
Ram kaj karibe ko aatur always keen to carry out the behest's of Shri Ram.
Prabu charitra sunibe ko rasiya You are an ardent listener, always so keen to listen to the
Ram Lakhan Sita man Basiya narration of Shri Ram's Life Stories. Your heart is filled with what Shri Ram stood for. You therefore always dwell in the hearts of Shri Ram, Lakshman and Sita.
Sukshma roop dhari Siyahi dikhava You appeared before Sita in a Diminutive form and spoke to
Vikat roop dhari lanka jarava her in humility. You assumed an awesome form and struck terror by setting Lanka on fire.
Bhima roop dhari asur sanghare With over-whelming might you destroyed the Asuras
Ramachandra ke kaj sanvare (demons) and performed all tasks assigned to you by Shri Ram with great skill.
Laye Sanjivan Lakhan Jiyaye You brought Sanjivan (A herb that revives life) and restored
Shri Raghuvir Harashi ur laye Lakshman back to life, Shri Raghuvir (Shri Ram) cheerfully embraced you with his heart full of joy.
Raghupati Kinhi bahut badai Shri Raghupati (Shri Ram) lustily extolled your excellence and
Tum mam priye Bharat-hi sam bhai said: "You are as dear to me as my own brother Bharat."
Sahas badan tumharo yash gaave Thousands of living beings are chanting hymns of your glories;
Us kahi Shripati kanth lagaave saying thus, Shri Ram warmly hugged him (Shri Hanuman).
Sankadik Brahmadi Muneesa When prophets like Sanka, even the Sage like Lord Brahma,
Narad Sarad sahit Aheesa the great hermit Narad himself, Goddess Saraswati and Ahisha (one of immeasurable dimensions).
Yam Kuber Digpal Jahan te Even Yamraj (God of Death) Kuber (God of Wealth) and the Digpals (deputies guarding the four corners of the Universe) have been vying with one another in offering homage to your glories.
Kavi kovid kahi sake kahan te How then, can a mere poet give adequate expression of your super excellence.
Tum upkar Sugreevahin keenha You rendered a great service to Sugriv. You united him with
Ram milaye rajpad deenha Shri Ram and he installed him on the Royal Throne. By heeding
Tumharo mantra Vibheeshan mana your advice, Vibhishan became Lord of Lanka. This is known
Lankeshwar Bhaye Sub jag jana all over the Universe.
Yug sahastra jojan par Bhanu On your own you dashed upon the Sun, which is at a fabulous
Leelyo tahi madhur phal janu distance of thousands of miles, thinking it to be a sweet luscious fruit.
Prabhu mudrika meli mukh mahee Carrying the Lord's Signet Ring in your mouth, there is
Jaladhi langhi gaye achraj nahee hardly any wonder that you easily leapt across the ocean.
Durgaam kaj jagat ke jete The burden of all difficult tasks of the world become light
Sugam anugraha tumhre tete with your kind grace.
Ram dware tum rakhvare, You are the sentry at the door of Shri Ram's Divine Abode.
Hoat na agya binu paisare No one can enter it without your permission,
Sub sukh lahai tumhari sarna All comforts of the world lie at your feet. The devotees enjoy all
Tum rakshak kahu ko dar na divine pleasures and feel fearless under your benign Protection.
Aapan tej samharo aapai You alone are befitted to carry your own splendid valour. All the
Teenhon lok hank te kanpai three worlds (entire universe) tremor at your thunderous call.
Bhoot pisach Nikat nahin aavai All the ghosts, demons and evil forces keep away, with the
Mahavir jab naam sunavai sheer mention of your great name, O'Mahaveer!!
Nase rog harai sab peera All diseases, pain and suffering disappear on reciting regularly
Hanuman Chalisa is hindi poem written by Mahakavi Goswami Tulsidas in the sixteenth century in praise of Lord Hanuman. It is very popular among a lot of modern hindus and is generally recited on Tuesdays (considered a holy day for devotees of Lord Hanuman).
The poem is called a chalisa as it contains forty (chalis in Hindi) verses. The structure of the poem is extremely simple and rhythmic, thus making it all the more popular. The poem praises Lord Hanuman’s strength and kindness and recounts the Lord’s great deeds.
After attending many discourses, I have understood that the recitation of specific Hindu prayers and hymns in Hanuman Chalisa will bestow specific results. I have compiled specific number of the Hymns and the benefits:
1) Chanting the Opening Invocation Hymn of Hanuman Chalisa many times will mitigate the doshas arising out of having insulted knowingly/ unknowingly one's preceptor/ a Rama Bhakta. The hardships in your life will be relieved and you will be blessed with strength and wisdom.
2) Chanting the First Hymn of the Chalisa "Jaya Hanumaan gyaan guna saagar....." will bestow Divine knowledge.
3) Chanting the Third Hymn of Chalisa "Mahaaveer vikrama Bhajrangi....." will remove the bad company of friends or relatives or get rid of your bad habits. It will guide you in your right path.
4) Chanting the Seventh and Eighth Hymns "Vidyavan guni athi chaathur....." will channel a devotee into Rama Bhakti and he will become dear to Shri Rama.
5) Chanting the eleventh Hymn "Laya sanjivan....." will mitigate the effects of poisonous bites and remove fear of snakes.
6) Chanting the Twelfth Hymn will remove misunderstanding between your sons and daughters and will bring unity and affection among them.
7) Chanting the Thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth Hymns will help you to reach name and fame.
8) Chanting the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Hymns will restore lost status or help in getting desired career improvements or promotions.
9) Chanting the Twentieth Hymn will remove obstacles and help in reaching your goals.
10) Chanting the Twenty-second Hymn will provide due protection from adverse planetary effects.
11) Chanting the Twenty-fourth Hymn will drive away all negative energies and evil spirits including black magical deities.
12) Chanting the Twenty-fifth Hymn will restore exuberant health and spirits. The recitation will also give you the ability to withstand physical agony and pain when you are injured or in ailment.
13) Chanting the Twenty-sixth Hymn protects you from general hardships and difficulties.
14) Chanting the Twenty-seventh and Twenty-eighth Hymns will bring fulfilment of desires by Divine Blessings.
15) Chanting the Twenty-ninth will take to the pinnacle of name and fame.
16) Chanting the Thirtieth Hymn will help you to conquer evil forces.
17) Chanting the Thirty-first Hymn will help you to master occult powers and great wealth.
18) Chanting the Thirty-second, Thirty-third, Thirty-fourth, and Thirty-fifth Hymns will certainly make you enjoy a self-contented life without any bothers / frustrations. You are assured that at the end of such a self-contented life, you will attain the Lotus feet of Shri Rama.
19) Chanting the Thirty-sixth Hymn will mitigate you from all difficulties and pains.
20) Chanting the Thirty-seventh Hymn will secure the Grace of Shri Hanuman.